Offering a complete service ranging from the initial consultation through to installation, garden design is something we’re really passionate about. We love the opportunity to create a garden that will stand the test of time and provide enjoyment for the whole family. Specializing in gardens designed with drought tolerant and native species, our region also lends itself to creating spaces filled with the rich textures and vibrant colours of hardy tropical and fascinating desert species. Creating a garden is about attention to detail, it needs to take into account the living space of your home, and compliment the architecture and natural surroundings alike.
Holli Benjamin Horticulture started out doing landscape maintenance, which remains a cornerstone of our business today. There is something very satisfying about caring for the garden and creating beautiful, harmonious spaces throughout a property. We provide a holistic approach to the landscape as a system, using organic/OMRI certified products in the garden. We prefer to look at the root cause of problems not just treat the symptom. Using the many techniques involved in integrated pest management, we find ways to enhance the beauty of the garden while attracting birds and beneficial insects. Contact us today to see how we can help with your garden!
Feeling a little overwhelmed when you look outside? Wonder if that Camellia is too old to transplant? Or why the leaves of the Photinia have spots? We’d be happy to visit your garden and identify what’s happening and how best to move forward with changes. When it comes to implementation, we can work with you to ensure all aspects of your project are undertaken with proper care and planning, ensuring a smooth process and great results.
While each and every project requires a unique blend of planning, skill and implementation, every successful project starts with some common ground:
Our introduction will begin with a broad enquiry into your objectives for the landscape. For this meeting, please bring all the ideas and visions you have for the space in question, including newspaper and magazine clippings, plant books and photo samples.
This is where the process starts to get detailed and focuses on gathering all the information to provide you with the best possible project for your space, the users and your budget.
Taking everything from the previous discussions, this part of the process is where pencils are put to paper and you are able to see how the concepts will work spatially for your project. Typically involves rough sketches and even on-site design to ensure we are on the right track.
The conceptual ideas are refined and detailed, then drawn to scale in a final working drawing. When needed, this will also include: sections/elevations; construction detail and specifications; planting plan with plant list; and specific design features such as lighting plans, water features, irrigation plans and more.
About Holli Benjamin Horticulture
After several years forming the start to a vibrant career in the horticulture industry, it was time to move things to the next level. In 2003, the opportunity arose to purchase the business Holli had been working for -she jumped at the opportunity to transition her career into business ownership.
Some of the related education and certifications Holli has completed over the years includes:
• Design Marketing - Emily Carr University of Art & Design.
• Certified Irrigation Technician - Irrigation Industry Association of BC
• Certified Garden Designer - University of British Columbia.
• Business Management - University of Victoria
• Landscape Design - Horticulture Center of the Pacific
• IPM Certificate - Ministry of Water, Land & Parks
• Certified Horticulture Technician - Malaspina University-College
Holli Benjamin maintains a long-standing connection with gardens, nature, and the environment. As a child she had a plot in the veggie garden and helped her mom around the yard. When it came time to choose a career path, it seemed a perfect place to start, and she loved it. After studying horticulture in 1997, Holli gained experience in many facets of the industry. She has worked in nurseries ranging from propagation and greenhouse operations to retail sales and management. Over the years, she has also had opportunities to integrate other areas into her work, such as floral design, therapeutic gardens and estate maintenance.
With her love of the outdoors and the natural environment, she chose to focus on landscape gardening, and has worked in this field for over 12 years. Holli is now focusing her energy and attention towards landscape design and consulting.
More recently, Holli has climbed to the top of her industry and is recognized as a consultant and speaker on horticultural and ecological issues.
Assignments have included:
• Consulting with Environmental department in a design of native plant / low water use garden for BC Hydro in Nanaimo incorporating an existing rare Garry Oak ecosystem.
• Research and restoration for Milner Gardens, in Qualicum Beach, in preparation for its opening to the public. Tasks included identification of rare species, irrigation installation and hazard assessment.
• Instruct and supervise correctional facility inmates on therapeutic and productive gardening techniques for their grounds and kitchen garden in a minimum-security environment.
• Presentation on Integrated Pest Management program for communities with water pollution concerns and for homeowners with septic systems or waterfront homes to educate in the prevention of chemicals leaching into groundwater and oceans on behalf of the Capital Regional District and Veins of Life Watershed Society.
• Consult with Strata Councils to recommended water conservation and maintenance reduction for various clients in Victoria.
INFO & INTEREST LINKS
Society for Organic Urban Land care
Victoria Compost Education Center
Seeds of Diversity
Organic Materials Review Institute
Irrigation Association of BC
BC Landscape & Nursery Association
BC Society of Landscape Architects
Pacific Northwest Palm & Exotic Plant Society
Okanagan Xeriscape Association
Integrated Pest Management
Horticulture Center of the Pacific
Holli Benjamin, CGD, CHT, CIT